QPS Master Plan, Quincy, Illinois
The Quincy School District #172 hired three local design firms, PSBA, Architectnics, Inc. & Klingner
Associates, P.C., to develop a District Wide Improvement Master Plan. All three firms worked with a
Facilities Planning Committee (comprised of citizens and QPS staff), School Officials, and school
employees from February to June 2014 to develop recommendations to present to the Quincy School
Board. Final recommendations included building five new K-5 grade schools, having grades 6-8 at Junior
High School, and moving the 9th Grade to Quincy Senior High School. PSBA was responsible for developing the schematic design plans for the remodeling of Quincy High School to make it a grade 9-12 facility. The improvements included the following:
- Freshman Addition – this new 27,098 s.f. building will house a security entrance, fourteen
classrooms, a 1,923 s.f. technology lab, three special learning classrooms, public restrooms,
new cafeteria seating, kitchen expansion and kitchen storage space. In addition, this whole
building will be serve as a tornado safe room. A new bus drop off will be constructed at this
addition to separate bus traffic and student/parent drop off traffic. This addition will be
between the “A” and “D” Buildings.
- Building B – the administration building will receive a security entrance addition to the front of
the building, existing lockers will be removed and new offices will be constructed in their place.
The offices will be used for guidance counselors, a nurse’s office, staff lounge and an in-building
suspension classroom. Building C – there is a one story 5,050 s.f. addition proposed for this
building that includes two large fitness rooms, two new locker rooms and an existing fitness
room is proposed to be converted to a Health Classroom.
- Building E – this building will receive a 8,440 s.f. two story addition that is proposed to have
seven new classrooms. The second floor is designed to have new science labs.
- The existing bus canopy will receive a new roof.
- The existing parking lot will be improved with new lighting and paving.
- The existing electrical transformers will be replaced.